Subscribe to our free, weekly email newsletter!

Schneider Logistics introduces Integrated Delivery Service

By Jeff Berman, Group News Editor
September 22, 2011

Schneider National subsidiary Schneider Logistics has rolled out a new service geared towards shippers with “re-occurring” less-than-truckload moves.

Entitled Integrated Delivery Services (IDS), Schneider officials said this new offering leverages various Schneider services, including supply chain technology, cross-docking, and dedicated trucking, to offer shippers a cost-effective supply chain tool.

“We saw a new opportunity to provide a service to the marketplace, which is really driven by creating a customer solution…that takes multiple customers’ shipments that had similar delivery schedules and then really provide consistent daily delivery on those routes with the IDS offering,” said Todd Jadin, vice president of IDS for Schneider Logistics, in an interview.

At its core, IDS takes multiple customer shipments in a single trailer that have consistent shipping patterns that Schneider can combine, rather than running separate trucks to facilities, it runs a single truck with multiple shipments in it.

Schneider assets comprise about 80 percent of IDS LTL moves, with the remaining 20 percent coming from partners of the Schneider Logistics network. And IDS is currently up and running in eight markets: Portland, Ore.; Sacramento, Calif.; Los Angeles, Calif.; Denver, Colo.; Houston, Texas; Lenexa, Kan.; Jackson, Miss.; Winchester, Va., and Memphis, Tenn. Markets targeted for expansion include the Midwest and Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, said Schneider, adding that about 20 customers are currently using IDS.

Before IDS was broadly introduced to the market, Schneider conducted a three-month pilot with four shippers stretching from the end of 2010 into 2011.

“What we did in the pilot and continue to do now with IDS is to take advantage of the shipping patterns of our customers and then the locations where they exist in putting product on a single trailer for multiple customers,” said Jadin. “And as we go out and deliver that route the customers that are collectively in route were able to combine shipments in their delivery movements. It really is taking advantage of customer- and route-density to put multiple customers on a single trailer.”

Jadin said Schneider is very pleased with the receptivity of the IDS product to date. And from a differentiation standpoint when it comes to IDS, he said Schneider is looking at predictability from a delivery standpoint, which is a cost advantage for filing claims and providing better claims experience for customers in traditional LTL settings.

Another focus of IDS, he said, is expanding its presence into the Midwest and South Central regions of the U.S.




About the Author

Jeff Berman headshot
Jeff Berman
Group News Editor

Jeff Berman is Group News Editor for Logistics Management, Modern Materials Handling, and Supply Chain Management Review. Jeff works and lives in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, where he covers all aspects of the supply chain, logistics, freight transportation, and materials handling sectors on a daily basis. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Subscribe to Logistics Management magazine

Subscribe today. It's FREE!
Get timely insider information that you can use to better manage your
entire logistics operation.
Start your FREE subscription today!

Recent Entries

Slowing global trade and a bloated orderbook of large vessel capacity mean that container shipping is set for another three years of overcapacity and financial pain, according to the latest Container Forecaster report published by global shipping consultancy Drewry.

The NRF is calling for 2015 holiday sales to see a 3.7 percent annual gain to $630.5 billion, which comfortably outpaces the ten-year average of 2.5 percent.

On the heels of announcing it plans to acquire freight transportation and logistics services provider Con-way Inc. for $3 billion, XPO Logistics may be considering selling off Con-way Truckload, the company’s truckload arm.

The International Air Cargo Association (TIACA) has called on world leaders meeting at the United Nations this week to work together to find solutions to the ongoing migrant crisis in Europe

More than 20 U.S. port authority officials and their key staff, representing seaports from all four U.S. coasts, will gather on October 8 to meet with Congressional leadership to discuss the upcoming surface transportation bill and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ navigation budget.

Article Topics

News · Logistics · LTL · Schneider · Schneider Logistics · All topics


Post a comment
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

© Copyright 2015 Peerless Media LLC, a division of EH Publishing, Inc • 111 Speen Street, Ste 200, Framingham, MA 01701 USA