Filed in Supply Chain Management
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Earlier this week, the United States Supreme Court upheld a ruling in which it ordered $345 million in reparations and reductions from Class I railroad Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) to two shippers, Western Fuels Association Inc. and Basin Electric Cooperative Inc.
Diesel prices decreased for just the fourth time in the last 24 weeks—and the second consecutive week—with a 4.3 cent decline to $4.061 per gallon, according to the Department of Energy’s Energy Information Administration (EIA). This follows a 2 cent dip last week, which dropped the average price per gallon to $4.104.
Freight movement needs a coordinated national freight strategic plan and dedicated source of funds in the next surface transportation bill, and major industry players need to be aggressive in selling that message to legislators obsessed with cutting federal transportation spending. That’s the word from the annual conference of Coalition for America’s Gateways and Trade Corridors, a ten-year-old Washington coalition of freight interests that includes shippers, builders, ports, intermodal interests, and other stakeholders.
Friday, May 13, 2011
April retail sales, which include non-general merchandise like automobiles, gasoline, and restaurants, were $389.4 billion for a 0.5 percent increase from March and a 7.6 percent increase compared to April 2010, according to Commerce data. Commerce said that total retail sales from February through April were up 8.1 percent annually.
Monday, May 09, 2011
Actual dollar amounts are short of desired legislative levels for transportation infrastructure. And with the Federal Government repeatedly showing little or no interest in increasing the gasoline tax, the current primary funding source, it stands to reason that funding will remain an obstacle for the foreseeable future.
Thursday, May 05, 2011
ACT Research, a provider of data and analysis for trucks and other commercial vehicles, said this week that a preliminary reading of heavy-duty Class 8 commercial vehicles net orders for North American markets hit 32,800 units in April.
Americans are significantly more concerned about nearly all aspects of their security compared to six months ago, according to new research conducted by Unisys Corporation.
Tuesday, May 03, 2011
Nearly four months after global industrial real estate bellwethers ProLogis and AMB Property Corporation announced they signed a definitive agreement to pave the way for a merger, ProLogis officials said that the company has scheduled a special meeting of its shareholders to consider and vote upon the merger.
Monday, May 02, 2011
Company officials said the $105 million facility is part of the $2.5 billion Crescent Corridor initiative. It is expected to be open in late 2012 and will be built on 380 acres. It is expected to create 6,200 jobs in the Memphis region over the next ten years and is expected to handle 327,000 containers and trailers annually.
View all categories and topics
While consumer spending is dragging somewhat due to increasing fuel prices, manufacturing growth shows no sign of stalling out based on data released today by the Institute for Supply Management (ISM).