IDTechEx Research predicts $10 billion market for real time locating systems
January 30, 2014 - MMH Editorial
In a new report, IDTechEx Research has outlined the landscape of indoor positioning systems and real time locating systems, the usage and capabilities of which are poised to grow rapidly in the coming decade.
The term indoor positioning systems (IPS) primarily concerns location-based services on mobile phones where GPS does not work. The term real time locating systems (RTLS) primarily concerns locating people and things at a distance, securely, using second generation radio frequency identification (RFID).
“The technologies are converging with Apple, Samsung, Google, Nokia, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard and IBM clashing for the tens of billions of dollars of business that is emerging,” writes Peter Harrop, chairman of IDTechEx. “The world’s largest companies are locking horns on this. Emergency services, healthcare, retailing, manufacturing, logistics and many other industries will be transformed by what is becoming possible.”
Source: IDTechEx report
As smart phones evolve into wearables like glasses or eyepieces, workers will have the ability to superimpose all manner of information across the items being viewed. For example, a service engineer might see “preventative maintenance due now” superimposed on their view of a machine in a factory. “From consumers to emergency services and even surgeons, the uses will be many and varied,” writes Harrop. “IDTechEx assesses that a $10 billion addressable market awaits.”
The topics of IPS and RTLS embrace a value chain from research and consultancy to software, services, hardware, integration and facilities management. Mobile phone app developers and value added enhancements plus ecosystems of mobile phones, web services and more are also involved. The report mentions Cadi Scientific of Singapore and Harmonic Group of South Africa as new RTLS suppliers alongside US companies RF Technologies, Zebra Technologies and other incumbents.
The report consists entirely of evidence-based analysis following seven years of conferences, masterclasses and reports on the subject produced by the PhD level IDTechEx analysts and team. The main features of the report, which is continuously updated, are the following:
● Ten-year forecast of the RTLS market 2014-2024, platform hardware versus system integration/services.
● Full explanation of what IPS and RTLS are and how these technologies are evolving and converging, with detailed, original graphs and diagrams, largest orders landed and lessons arising. Threats, opportunities and company strategies are revealed.
● Comparison of 105 organizations in the IPS/RTLS value chain by country, basic measuring principle, standards, frequencies, protocol, range, accuracy, applications targeted and background information.
● Comparison of 74 case studies of RTLS with many pie charts presenting the lessons arising.
● Detailed original interviews carried out from mid 2013 with important organizations in this space.
Source: IDTechEx report
Subscribe to Logistics Management magazine
entire logistics operation. Start your FREE subscription today!