Printed circuit board production’s supply chain may ramp up in Japan soon

According to industry analysts, the news of the re-start of production confirms Japan’s manufacturing agility to overcome exceptional conditions and a commitment to deliver continuity in a highly complex IT supply chain.
image
By Patrick Burnson, Executive Editor
April 04, 2011 - SCMR Editorial

Two key plants that produce 70 percent of the world’s copper-clad laminates, which have been shut since the Japan Tsunami devastated the Sendai prefecture, are hoping to re-open early this month.


According to industry analysts, the news of the re-start of production confirms Japan’s manufacturing agility to overcome exceptional conditions and a commitment to deliver continuity in a highly complex IT supply chain.


Copper-clad laminate is a critical raw material used in the production of Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) and production is forecast to resume within two weeks.  The news comes on the basis that there are no more problems discovered in the plants’ fabric and utility, power and raw material sources. 
 

When the two factories in question, MGC and HKP, reopen there will have been no shipments of copper-clad laminates for approximately four weeks from these key suppliers.


“The total impact of this shortage is unknown as many manufacturers of PCBs have turned to their stock reserves to cover the period of no shipments from the two main suppliers,” said Probrand’s Iain Bowles,
Probrand, based in Birmingham, England, is a major supplier of top branded computer products.


He added that with a 70 percent hole in the supply of copper clad laminates, PCB manufacturers have been chasing a share of the remaining 30 percent of source material globally. 


“This shortage in copper-clad laminates will simply not be able to pick up the deficit of 70 percent global supply multiplied by four weeks. The cross-over period back to normal supply will challenge the very core of the supply chain.”


According to Bowles, Japan “is king” when it comes to cost effective production of this material and alternative sources will be costing manufacturers more; material price, freight and currency.  He added that this is likely to be felt in product prices further down the supply chain in the coming months.


“The big test is observing how stock and pricing in the IT channel will be effected by this considerable unrest in the global supply chain,” said Bowles. “There perhaps could not be a bigger test of manufacturers Business Continuity implementation and it is going to be very interesting to see which manufacturers have got it right and which have got it wrong.”


For related stories click here.



About the Author

image
Patrick Burnson
Executive Editor
Patrick Burnson is executive editor for Logistics Management and Supply Chain Management Review magazines and web sites. Patrick is a widely-published writer and editor who has spent most of his career covering international trade, global logistics, and supply chain management. He lives and works in San Francisco, providing readers with a Pacific Rim perspective on industry trends and forecasts. You can reach him directly at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Subscribe to Logistics Management magazine

Subscribe today. It's FREE!
Get timely insider information that you can use to better manage your
entire logistics operation.
Start your FREE subscription today!

Recent Entries

Supply chain security provider Freightwatch International has released its semi-annual report on cargo theft in the Asia Pacific region for the first half of 2014, which contains some heartening news for U.S. shippers reliant on trucking, warehousing and retail.

FedEx Ground, a subsidiary of FedEx Corporation, reports today that a decision by a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit reversed previous rulings by the District Court for the Northern District of Indiana in three class action cases involving mostly former independent contractors for FedEx Ground

More talking remains before the deal is done

The transpacific U.S.-flag carrier has been ranked number one in the ocean carrier category for Logistics Management magazine's Quest for Quality award

This year, the Containerization & Intermodal Institute (CII) will be staging the “Connie” Awards dinner in conjunction with IANA’s Intermodal EXPO in Long Beach

About the Author

Patrick Burnson, Executive Editor
Patrick Burnson is executive editor for Logistics Management and Supply Chain Management Review. Patrick covers international trade, global logistics, and supply chain management. He lives and works in San Francisco, providing readers with a Pacific Rim perspective on industry trends and forecasts. Contact Patrick Burnson

Comments

Post a comment
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.